[Mgs] For Whom the Belt Squeals

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Fri Sep 7 12:36:02 MDT 2007

Larry:

Check the width of the belt you are using. Too narrow of a belt will
bottom out in the groove and not get sufficient loading of the sides of
the vee to drive properly.

The belt should be 9.5mm and when laid into the pulley groove should not
bottom out.

A problem with the alternator can also cause belt squeal.

On your late car it is also possible for the pressed steel water pump
pulley to fail, this will allow the belt to bottom out and not drive
properly.

Hope this helps.

Kelvin Dodd

Daniels
> Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 11:29 AM
> To: MG-MGB at yahoogroups.com; MG List
> Subject: [Mgs] For Whom the Belt Squeals
>
> I'm getting belt squeal on my 79 B upon acceleration.  I put on a new
belt
> and
> within a short while it does the same thing.
>
> The pulleys seem to be aligned well.  I get about 1/2" to 5/8" of
> deflection
> in the middle of the longest run of the belt with moderate pressure.
Any