[Mgs] Paper or Felt Oil Filters

Rick Lindsay rolindsay at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 09:16:51 MDT 2007

Do you guys go by the old adage of a minimum of
"5psi/1000rpm" saying?  That's what we used to say
when we drove Triumphs. (Please pardon the French.)

I think you are exactly right when you state that
pressure is just a surrogate for flow rate through the
bearings.  That is the real measure and I like to
think in terms of bearing cooling more so than
lubrication.

My Italian car idles at 60psi and operates anything
off idle at 90psi!  It also has a fire pump for an oil
pump using a dry sump design with twin scavenger pumps
running in the sump.  The actual lines to/from the
high pressure pump and oil cooler are steel jacketed
lines about 1-3/8" OD.  Lubrication and bearing
cooling are serious concerns as these 3.0 liter V8
engines can run at 7700rpm red-line all day long - and
do!

Fun thread.  Thanks to all.

rick
various cars