[Mgs] spongy brakes

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 02:23:30 MDT 2007

In case any one is still wondering what on earth you are talking about I
presume you mean setting the free-play of the brake-light switch on those
cars with a mechanical switch either on the pedal box or pedal bracket
inside the cockpit.  That is the only free-play you can set.  If the switch
is screwed too far in it stops the pedal coming back far enough, and the
piston doesn't clear the port from the reservoir.  The usual symptom of that
is the brakes binding as they heat up and the fluid expands.  If the switch
isn't screwed in far enough the brake lights stay on all the time.