[Mgs] BGT problems

RampantNM at aol.com RampantNM at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 11:28:31 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/15/2007 11:23:00 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
max_heim at sbcglobal.net writes:

have to say I was curious why, if you thought it might be a timing  problem,
that you bought a new distributor and set it at exactly the same  timing as
the old one. I would have thought the logical first step would be  to change
the timing on the existing  distributor.

The old vacum advance was toast, and I worried that if it was bad,  the
weights, springs and such might be just as bad, as they were just as  old.
The 11
degree BTDC is what's on the sticker on the car, near the  bonnet latch.

John Twist suggested 15 degrees BTDC at 1500 RPM.  I'll try that  next.

As for the head gasket, wouldn't that cause water in the oil, or oil in the
water, or some sort of contamination or at least water vapor smoke out the
tail  pipe?

Regards,

Robert B. Houston
63 TR4
74.5 MGBGT
73 MG  Midget

b&Reminds me of my safari in Africa, somebody forgot the corkscrew  and for
several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. W. C  Fields