[Mgs] Gold Seal Engines

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 16:18:04 MDT 2007

This subject reminds me of a story....

Back in the spring of 1966, I bought my present '54 TF. It had been wrecked
and stored in a warehouse in Savannah, GA for a number of years. I hauled
the car back to Beaufort, SC and, since the engine was frozen and I had a
rebuilt XPAG on hand, replaced the TF's with the +.080 rebuilt. The fact
that the TF's engine was painted gold meant nothing to me at the time. I did
transplant the gold head and the 1-1/2 inch carbs however. Back in
Pittsburgh a year later, I found a buyer for the gold block. He pointed out
that it was a 1500 cc XPEG unit. and gave me my asking price of $75 for it.

My car is an early TF, not a 1500. So I can only assume that for some reason
some previous owner had replaced the 1250 with a Gold Seal 1500. Woulda,
Coulda, Shoulda.

The red XPAG block with the gold head is still in my car 41 years later.

Ed Woods