[Mgs] gold sealed engine

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 02:20:47 MDT 2007

It's 'Gold Seal', and is a factory reconditioned replacement engine, painted
gold instead of red or black.  My understanding is this was a complete
engine that had been, for whatever reason, stripped, every component checked
for damage and measured for tolerance, and rebuilt using new components
where required.  As such Gold Seal engines were said to be better than
originals, for with originals parts from the component manufacturers were
fitted as-is without being checked or measured and hence rogue components
could get through and cause problems later on.  There were also Silver Seal
engines, which I think were 'short' engines i.e. incomplete, no connection I
know of with an American company of the same name.  Gold Seal engines have
their own series of engine number prefixes beginning 48G and latterly BHM in
place of the 18G, 18Gx and 18V of the originals.  The other prefix and
suffix letters were as for the originals.  See
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_engineframe.htm and click on 'Gold Seal
Engines' for how the Gold Seal prefixes relate to the originals.