[Mgs] Poly Bushings

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 08:40:08 MDT 2007

If the bushes are a snug fit over the pin then no, as the shoulder on the
pin acts as the 'distance tube'.  Neither the Workshop Manual or the Parts
Catalogue show a tube separate to the bushes, unlike the distance tube for
the bottom trunnion.  So if the poly bushes need one it should have been
supplied.  In my experience the tube rusts solidly onto the pin, which needs
cutting through inside both arms of the damper, and even then some force to
get the remains out of the trunnion, which then needs a fitting-kit for
reassembly.  Watch these, as for many years the special pin was supplied
with a Nyloc nut, which is totally wrong for the application as the end of
the pin doesn't even reach the end of the nut, let alone have the required
three threads minimum sticking through.  It needs a castellated nut, and a
low-profile one at that.