[Mgs] Electrical system questions

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 02:00:42 MDT 2007

1.  Correct, single-circuit cars had a small 4-way brake pipe union with a
hydraulic brake light switch screwed in to that.  Early dual circuit systems
had a larger union with the failure switch, the brake light switch was
screwed into the pedal box.  The mechanical switch is a 'normally closed'
type, i.e. when the brake pedal is pressed it releases the switch to close
the circuit and light the lights, and vice-versa.  You have to be careful
with these switches - if they aren't screwed in far enough the lights will
stay on all the time.  But if they are screwed in too far it stops the pedal
coming back as far as it should, and hence the piston in the master doesn't
clear the bypass port in the cylinder, so when the hydraulic fluid gets hot
and expands it can't escape up into the reservoir, but locks the brakes on
instead.