[Mgs] FW: Lights

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 2 07:25:37 MDT 2007

No fuses in factory wiring.  Sounds like either the dip-switch not working
on the dipped side, or the blue/red wire open-circuit between the dip-switch
and the left-hand headlamp.  Or possibly both dipped filaments failed, or
both dipped beam wires in the headlamp tails failed.  But if it was a sudden
failure both sides then these last two are unlikely.

An open-circuit could happen in various places according to the year of the
car and where dip-switch is, but one place common to all cars is the 4-way
bullet connector by the right-hand headlight.  If the wire coming in is
corroded or has pulled out it will affect both sides.  But if the fog-light
is wired to be available, via its own switch, when the dipped beams are on,
and that isn't working either, then it is probably the dip-switch itself or
connector by it.  Early cars had bullet connectors for the foot-operated
dip-switch, don't know where these are.  For cars with the column operated
dip-switch there is a multi-way plug and socket by the steering column, and
it is possible for a pin to get partially pushed out in these.