[Mgs] skype - ot

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Thu Jun 28 14:02:22 MDT 2007

Skype is bad news. In fact, we have banned it on our campus (Montana
State University) where I work. Our policy essentially is for people to
use any Internet telephony application but Skype. Its main problem is
that it converts user computers into bandwidth sucking supernodes in
order to route other Skype traffic. And you as the user agree to that
when you install the software because of the software agreement (that
length legal jargon that most people do not read).

To quote the Skype EULA (way down, something like page 15):

Article 4 Utilization of Your computer

4.1 Utilization of Your computer. You hereby acknowledge that the Skype
Software may utilize the processor and bandwidth of the computer (or
other applicable device) You are utilizing, for the limited purpose of
facilitating the communication between Skype Software users.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B