[Mgs] 72 Midge brakes

Rabeys at aol.com Rabeys at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 10:03:26 MDT 2007

I fix one thing and another brakes.  Discovered that my master  cyclinder was
leaking and decided it was something I could tackle.  Have  assisted in the
project before but never done it completely on my own.

So i get the mc off and the new one back on with no problems.  I  go to hook
up the brake lines and problems.  I was told to be very careful  about cross
threading and I did my best.  I got one on after several tries  making sure i
wasnt cross threading.  The other one was a major  pain.  I finally gave up, it
simply would not thread.  I thought I  might have damaged it taking it off
because it was harder to do then the  first.  The bend in the line seemed to put
tension on it, and it was coming  out at an angle.

I took the whole brake line off and took the other brake line from my parts
car. I hook it up and it hand threaded with ease into the master cylinder,
however, when i tried to connect it to the brake pressure thing ( i dont know
what its called but its where the other ende of my brake line connected and 2
wires come out of it) it would not thread...same as the original problem.   I
was besides my self and I'm sure i offended the ears of my neighbors, but good
 lord!  I tried the original brake line fitting from that side and it
threaded fine...they look almost identical but i think it might be a tad bit  longer
than the parts car line.

Has anyone ever experienced that?!  Im going to take both lines to a  shop or
something and see if they can transfer fittings...surely a specialty  brake
place could do that.  Otherwise, the parts store told me I would have  to order
the entire brake line set which is over $100 and i just spent $200  something.

Any thoughts on this or similar experiences?

Steph