[Mgs] Best Electric Cooling Fan for MGA

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 21 10:24:48 MDT 2007

1. I'm not sure I'm convinced that 190 to 200 on "hot" days is any kind of a
problem.

2. If you are trying to reduce the engine temp at highway speed, you aren't
going to address that with a fan. Above 35-40mph, the fan is just blocking
airflow. The electric pusher would be much worse in this regard than the
engine-driven fan.

The main advantage of an electric fan is that it continues to turn at high
speed when the car is stationary and idling.

The thing you can do is try to ensure that all the airflow through the grill
is directed through the radiator core. This might mean finding a new source
of 'cold' air for the carburetors.

Pondering this issue of the large electric motor blocking airflow, I am
somewhat surprised no one has come up with a kit that has the motor located
at the corner of the radiator, driving the fan with a belt to a small
diameter pulley. This would have advantages in fitting a "puller" fan to a
shallow depth situation, and in improved airflow.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149