[Mgs] Best Electric Cooling Fan for MGA

WSpohn4 at aol.com WSpohn4 at aol.com
Thu Jun 21 10:34:16 MDT 2007

In a message dated 21/06/2007 9:05:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Wilkmanracing at aol.com writes:

Before  the rebuild, it would run 190 degrees to 200 plus on  hot
days.   I figured the rebuild, which included a thorough block and head
cleaning, would tame these numbers.  While breaking in the cam in  the
garage with a
huge floor fan pushing air toward the engine, it  experienced the  same
pre-rebuild temps.  So, I had the radiator  recored.  But it still  runs at
the same
temps on the  road.

____________________________________

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those numbers. You've made sure the
rad is good, and the thermostat is working. Just live with the temps, on a hot
day they are par for the course.

I highly recommend that people have their filler neck replaced at the time
they recore the rad so that they can run more than a 7 lb. cap. Using a 15 lb.
cap allows you a wider margin. It isn't the heat per se that damages engines,
it  is the boiling when they exceed the ability of the rad and coolant, at
the  pressure of the cap they are using.

Make sure that you install the felt excluder - none of the retailers seem  to
highlight this part. It is Moss 472-560  on this page
_http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29239#top_
(http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29239#top)

There isn't even a picture or mention of it other than being the  bottom-most
part on the list. It is glued to the underside of the bonnet so that  it
bears on the top of the rad when the bonnet is closed and stops air going  over
the top of the rad instead of through it. IMO it should be highlighted and
included in the cooling page as it can have a fairly large effect on  cooling.  I
am going to cc this to Kelvin Dodd in case he wants to do  anything about
this. Many owners I've talked to don't even know they are  supposed to have one of
these!

I would also like to see some radiator cap make a cap for the deep throat
that has higher than the
 standard 7 lb.rating, but I expect the demand wouldn't warrant it (we  are a
pretty small market). I like a 15 lb. cap.  I use a 25 lb. cap on the
Jamaican.

As an alternative, I have machined up a thin aluminum ring that can be
epoxied into the neck. It has to be the correct thickness to take a shallow neck
cap and it has to have a hole in the centra that doesn't foul the little valve
in the cap, but it isn't exactly rocket science. The only problem is that it
also has to avoid covering the overflow pipe and they vary a little.  I
suppose someone could make up and sell such a ring that you could pop into your
original neck and then jsut use a new style short cap.  If the small  overflow
pipe happened to be occluded, one would just have to get the rad shop  to
solder it over and move it up a hair.

Send your royalty cheques c/o this address......
Bill Spohn