[Mgs] Cooling issue

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 20 20:05:49 MDT 2007

I don't see a problem here, unless you're saying that this is radically
different behavior than in the past.

"A little above the N" is certainly nothing to worry about, considering you
don't even know precisely what temperature "N" represents.

When it actually hits the "H", or blows steam out of the radiator cap, then
you have a cooling issue. Otherwise, the needle goes up and down, depending
on conditions -- these aren't like modern cars where the temperature gauge
never budges year-round.

If you think you'd be more comfortable with a steady needle, though, I'd put
in a 180 thermostat. In my experience, they aren't going to operate at a
steady 165 in summer, anyway, so you might as well go with the flow. And
that way you might actually get some warmth out of the heater at night on
the highway.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149