[Mgs] Cooling issue

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 01:57:43 MDT 2007

You say 74, I presume this is the chrome bumper model with mechanical
cooling fan and not the 74.5 model with electric.

Your running temps seem normal to me given the ambient of low 80s, and that
would indicate the gauge is accurate.  However I'd have said that going up
to mid-way between N and H when you are idling *is* a little high, unless it
is for several minutes at a time with a slight following wind (the
difference between a following and head wind can be quite significant).
OTOH if you are stopped in traffic your radiator will be 'breathing' all the
heated air being pumped out of the radiators of the cars around you, which
will also cause your gauge to go up.  Another factor is temperature of the
air near the road surface i.e. heated by the effect of sun on tarmac, this
can be 20 degrees higher than air temperature, again causing a rise in the
gauge.  What does it do if left idling on, say, grass with no other traffic
around and in a slight cross or head wind?  If that is only slightly higher
than your normal running temps then I'd say you had nothing to worry about.

At the end of the day, cars with electric fans have the thermo switch
calibrated to only cut in about mid-way between N and H, and the gauge
should be able to go up nearly to the H without any problems.  If it isn't
steaming or losing coolant, it isn't overheating.