[Mgs] carb leak

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Tue Jun 19 09:18:56 MDT 2007

I took my 67BGt for a spin the other day and ended up sniffing gas fumes
again. The top of the front float cover was wet with fuel. This has been
an ongoing problem for a while now and I haven't been able to fix it
yet. I have new fuel line hoses which show no leaks. I have replaced the
needle/valve seat a couple of times. The fuel pump does shut off after
the bowl fills. Fuel level in the bowl is correct. It only seems to leak
when I am driving, not when its idling. The overflow is connected to
what is probably the original design where the overflow tube is
connected to another steel tube by a small rubber hose, set to vent fuel
to the ground and it remains dry. My only guess right now is that the
lid itself has a small leak, maybe in the input or output connections in
the lid. Has anyone seen or heard of such a possibility since I am only
making an educated guess? And does anyone have a used lid they can sell
me? It is an earlier SU (AUD 100? something, not sure exact number since
car is not here at work). It appears to be a flat lid whereas the later
HS4 style from my 71BGT (now on my 72B) appears to have an indented lid,
which allows it to hold slightly more fuel on the cover if it was to
leak. It looks like Moss does sell the whole lid with float for about
$50 USD but I suspect it is of the newer design and my 67BGT is still
virtually original.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B