[Mgs] using a volt meter/72 Midge

TMcnam4510 at aol.com TMcnam4510 at aol.com
Mon Jun 18 18:45:09 MDT 2007

Hey Steph, don't be afraid.  It is easy to use a volt meter.  The  setting on
the knob will indicate the scale of the reading.  At this   point, you are
able to ignore all of the amp settings.  A volt is the  amount of electrical
"pressure".  Think of a hydraulic circuit, PSI is a  measure of hydraulic
pressure, PSI = pounds per square inch, volts = electrical  pressure.  Our cars have
12 Volts of electrical pressure from the  battery.  IN order to complete a
circuit and have something happen, (i.e. a  lamp light), the electric circuit
must go from the battery to the earthing  point, positive (+) to negative (-).
If a circuit is "grounded" before the  circuit is completed, the action will
not happen.

The ohm scale on your meter tells the amount of resistance to circuit flow,
measured in ohms.  The closer you get to ground/earth/negative the lower  the
ohm reading.  Does this help?  Let me know and perhaps we can talk  on the
phone.  Electronics is my game.  Regards,  Tom