[Mgs] Oh No! Harness burnt up!

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Mon Jun 18 10:10:33 MDT 2007

Hi Paul -

You are, of course correct! I discovered that after looking at the very
nice schematics at http://www.advanceautowire.com/mgb.pdf  (Set your
print options to tile, the tape the pages together for a nice large
color schematic)

I killed the ignition immediately, but once the smoke was there, it was
already too late. It only took seconds...

My son & I removed the dash yesterday, and it appears that the bullet
connector to the radio had worked itself loose and shorted on
something... It's melted right to the end of the bullet, and throughout
the harness. The browns that fed it are charred, and some smaller wires
burnt through. The ignition switch is also fried. The dash sub-harness
appears fine. You can follow the melt line through the main wiring
harness though...

I thought the accessory line was fused, but either I've been DPO'ed, or
I'm just wrong. Either way, I have a mess on my hands. The trick now
seems to be avoiding "project creep". The repair has already expanded to
cover some things I've been wanting to address, and now "might as well"
since it's all apart anyway.

So far this means clean and lube the wiper wheel boxes and motor, and
chase down a working clock, and a speedometer that works properly.
Replace all the washer tubing. A new headlight switch. And since they
are out, glassbead the demister vents and respray. Of course all new
bulbs upon dash reassembly/install.

The item I'm really waffling on is removing the windscreen to replace
the seal which has seen better days. Then of course, does it pay to
reinstall a 27 year old glass that is showing it's age? And new glazing
rubber and all the joys associated with that...

Big problem with pulling the windscreen, is then do I pull the front
fenders to address the seams by the windscreen that are showing signs of
a problem beginning to form? Of course that means some painting
required... And so it goes...

Marc