[Mgs] Two 12 volt batteries

WJHS1960 WJHS1960 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 17 12:06:18 MDT 2007

<< I also plan to put a battery cutoff switch on the jump seat wall behind
the driver's seat on the negative side.
   Does anyone see any problems with my plans?>>

Sort of good idea Tom, but there is a better way. -:)

In a previous period of time I designed electrical systems & bodies for
ambulances, mini-fire trucks and mini-resques trucks.

IMHO, a dual battery switch (in the bulkhead is fine) would be a much better
choise.
Essentily is would allow you to have your goodies connected and an OFF
(disconnect from BOTH batteries) Batt. #1, Batt. #2, and Both Batts.!
When you get somewhere that you want goodies to operate just switch to one of
the Batts..  That leave to other OUT of the circuit and not being discharged.
Or in the OFF(both dis-connected).  Now when your goodies run A batt down, you
have the other Batt. to Start and run on.  If both batts are good and new, you
can start and run with the Alternator charging both.  If the goodies batt. is
REALLY dead just switch to UN-used one and off you go.

The addition of an Isolater is STILL a good idea as even if you Start and Run
on the un-used one it WILL allow both to be charged WITH no effect as to
draining the good one whereas without the isolater you would have to put the
goodies one on a battery charger to bring at least "up to snuff".

Now, if you DO go this route you sould go check with Fire Department's
Equipment Chief (easiest) or private ambulance and check a couple vehicle Spec
Manuals.

Ed