[Mgs] MGC Engine

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 14:42:46 MDT 2007

Rather than go through all my books, I went to the last two I read. Essential
MG, by Graham Robson, and MGB Including Mgc and MGB GT V8, by David Knowles.

Robson says the engine was the one Austin Healey, shared with the Austin
Westminster and Knowles agrees. I don't know which book I have that says it
isn't so. That is what happebs when you read more than one book!

The Knowles book is fascinating. He looked at the factory records, and tells
just who  was responsible for designing each part of the car. He also
explains why the confusion on where the engine came from.

It seems the first six cylinder engines tried in the prototype MGCs did come
from Australia. However, it was too costly to import, and Morris wouldn't
build them at Longbridge. The redesign was too heavy, and was to be lower in
height so it could fit under the B bonnet. It was neither lighter or lower.
The height of the engine is the reason they had to create a new bonnet with
bulges.

Sorry for the confusion, but it is an old one.

Jack