[Mgs] Midget Mk III gearbox

Rabeys at aol.com Rabeys at aol.com
Wed Jul 25 23:36:25 MDT 2007

i have had that happen to me also in my 72 Midget.  i was told it is
non-syncro so the advice was use 1st as little as possible and use it to barely  get
it rolling.  my brother-in-law wanted to drive my car and i foolishly  said
yes.  live and learn.  i told him that you have to be at a  complete stop, not
even rolling a little tiny bit when you use first.   well, he tried down
shifting into first and kept forcing it as i sat in the  passenger seat screaming
no!  must've told that idiot 6 different ways not  to do that.  about a week
later, my tranny got stuck in first.

my mechanic showed me the gears for first and reverse and showed me how
small they are and why you need to be at a complete stop etc etc.    sounds like
she's looking at a new tranny :(   that was my experience  for what it is
worth...stephanie