[Mgs] Midget Mk III gearbox

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 25 16:46:49 MDT 2007

A friend reports from the opposite coast that her 1967 Midget is stuck in
1st gear. Apparently she was in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Manhattan,
working the gearbox constantly (1st, neutral, 1st), when it "froze" in 1st
gear (her term).

Offhand I don't recall much about this gearbox. Does it have 1st gear
synchro? Does it have a shifter extension?

My initial suspicion was that the clutch hydraulics had failed, but I don't
think that would keep you from slipping it into neutral.

In general, this vehicle was in "very good driver" condition a dozen years
ago, when it shipped out to the east coast. Since then it has been driven
very irregularly. Engine was rebuilt (by unknown to me NY party) 4 or 5
years ago. Brake hydraulics were replaced 3 or 4 years ago. Clutch was
replaced (by me) maybe 17 or 18 years ago -- I don't know if this was
addressed while the motor was out. Transmission in all likelhood has never
been touched (owner never looks under hood except when it breaks).

Any suggestions, comments or advice?

TIA

--

Max Heim