[Mgs] 80 MGB - Cross member to Body bolt

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 19 16:57:51 MDT 2007

Crazy, maybe...

The major load on those bolts is not compression, or stretch, as you infer
-- it is shear, and it occurs anytime the car changes direction, or brakes.
One way to look at it is that the tightness of the nuts is protecting the
bolts (or studs) from the shear forces (transferring them to the frame of
the vehicle). The nuts, as usual, are not directly subjected to the major
force, but their integrity is critical to the integrity of the assembly
(also as usual).

A parallel situation might be lug nuts (the studs being loaded chiefly in
shear). Of course, you don't think of them as being "graded" quality (are
they?), but I suppose they are to some extent redundant (multiple per
wheel).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149