[Mgs] 80 MGB - Cross member to Body bolt

Preston Smith prbasmith at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:04:21 MDT 2007

Good day all!

On my 1980 MGB, a service shop replaced the rubber pads inserted between
the Front cross member and the body - they had deteriorated due to oil
leakage and I was getting an annoying sound in the front end.  The new
pads are made of polyurethane.

Recently I am starting to hear the familiar noise again.  I thought it
might be prudent to re torque the 4 nuts used on the body - cross member
connecting bolts - if I recall correctly they are torqued at about 56
foot-pounds

The bolt is threaded at both ends with a non threaded portion in the
middle.  So my question is this - when I retorque the nuts do I have to
hold the nut on the opposite end or is the bolt keyed in some manner so
that it will not rotate when the nut is turned?  This may be obvious to
some but it is not to me.  Of course, i would know for sure if I were to
dismantle the whole thing.

Thanks

Preston