[Mgs] Lucas 25D rebuild advice...

Rick Lindsay rolindsay at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 09:51:34 MDT 2007

A trick with solder wick:

   First of all, it is designed to wick solder away
from whatever you're de-soldering.  Therefore, if you
solder connectors on the ends it will suck up all the
solder and turn hard as solid metal.  And you should
solder connectors on, so...
   You need to clean the rosin flux from the braided
copper.  You can do this by soaking the solder wick in
brake cleaner (tri-chlor).  This is the same stuff the
industrial dudes used to use to clean rosin/flux from
wave-soldered circuit boards.  This process leaves the
copper very clean so it will still suck up solder like
mad.  When you solder connectors on the ends clamp the
wire with forceps right behind the connector.  Voila!
You have a very flexible ground wire!

Regards,

rick