[Mgs] Lucas 25D rebuild advice...

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 03:42:24 MDT 2007

For reassembly take pictures or make notes as you dismantle, it's all pretty
obvious how it goes together, apart from the visible bits there are only two
springs and two weights under the points plate.  Whilst the two weights
should be the same, the two springs should be different, but it doesn't
matter which spring goes where.  The bit that *isn't* obvious is that the
top half of the spindle fits to the lower half in one of two positions, i.e.
180 degrees apart from each other, but only one of them is strictly correct.
This is because the lower half is keyed to the drive gear in the block with
an offset slot and dog, and the rotor is keyed to the upper half with a
keyway.  Get it wrong and the rotor will be 180 degrees out to how it was
before.  It's no big deal as you simply move the plug leads two positions
round the cap, but to get it right note the relative positions of the dog
and keyway before you start.  Look carefully, as the dog and slot are only
just off-centre.

If you haven't changed points before it is quite common to get that assembly
wrong.  A stepped insulator goes on the threaded stud first, step facing
upwards.  Points next with the hole on the spring fitted over the step.
Next the condenser and coil tags, in either order.  Next another stepped
washer, this time with the step facing downwards, going through the holes in
the two tags and the spring.  Finally the nut.  The stepped washers keep the
points spring and tags clear of the grounded stud, if they contact it the
points will be shorted out and the engine won't run.

There should be a very flexible braided ground wire between the moving
points plate (moved by the vacuum capsule) and the body of the distributor.
If this is in bad condition you can get no or intermittent current flow
through the coil.