[Mgs] MG, how heavy art thou? cont.

cyberemp at comcast.net cyberemp at comcast.net
Wed Jul 4 14:29:12 MDT 2007

Hello list.
Thank all of you for your responses.
Concensus seems to be the weight of car is near 2,500lbs.  I'll have to go with
the 280Xlbs number.
     Trailer advice points towards a dual axle, elect. brake flat bed.(because
car will be stripped down and illegal for even touching the sacred streets of
California without license, lights, windshield). Aluminum trailer preferred, but
the cheapest I could find one in this area was $4850.00. Ouch!
I also hear the horror stories of Uhauls. I will seek used aluminum and steel
trailers. I can overhaul the bearings, brakes , lights, tires  before I use.
Hopefully not surpassing the price of a new trailer as I do so.
My Mig welder says it will weld aluminum.(reverse polarity, aluminum wire) I
wonder if I can build a trailer from a kit?
My Nissan towing capacity is 3500 lbs unladen for manual, 5000 lbs unladen for
an automatic .It doesn't say what the average wing velocity is for an unladen
swallow.
African or European.
I suspect that Nissans lower weight capacity is for clutch
warantee, but I don't think the highway parol will give me a break on that,
since mine is a manual transmission, But I'll check, since even an aluminum
trailer with MG would put me over 3500lbs, though I'm not calculating stripped
down weight. No engine, transmission, interior, windshield,Gigantibumpers on
74.5, Lights, spare, jack, fuel.
I plan on setting up electric winch to pull car onto trailer, since it won't
drive up.
-----------------
Fate of four fenders still undecided
#s are
457-340
HZA4224 LH F

457-360
HZA410? RH F

457-150
hza4225 LH R

457-130
H2A4224 RH R.

Also included at no additional cost!!
 two sills, outer, lower.
LH OE 457-150
RH OE 457-160

some error may have occurred in my number transcription. No warrantee expressed
or implied with these numbers, parts, or bubble wrap. Blah blah blah.

--
Eric
46 MGTC