[Mgs] (no subject)

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Wed Jul 4 12:16:42 MDT 2007

    It's best to go by the book for adjustment of handbrake, but here's
how one does it, at least for MGBs and TDs:
    Adjust the service brake, as tight as possible w/o dragging.
    Tighten the cable adjuster(s) until the handle pulls up to lock
brakes on the proper click.

    This always works on TDs.  It should work on MGBs, but if there is
much wear on the linkage inside the drum, there won't be sufficient
adjustment in the cable to get the hand brake working properly.
Sometimes the new linkage pieces will solve the problem, but at least one
member of our club has found the new ones to be less useful than the worn
ones they were to replace.  He welded metal onto the worn area of the old
ones, then ground down to make the handbrake work right.
    Once the handbrake is in adjustment, it should work correctly as long
as the service brakes are adjusted right.  Well, it "should".
Bob