[Mgs] Home-Built Flywheel Holder

WSpohn4 at aol.com WSpohn4 at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 12:08:12 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/28/2007 10:57:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
d_dibiase at yahoo.com writes:

Good to  know, Bill, since my '65 has a 3-main engine sitting in it that will
be coming  out as soon as I wrap up this '76 engine deal....
____________________________________

So many of these were dumped in the old days with people wanting to go to
the supposedly superior 5 main. In fact the 3 main puts out a little more power
(less friction), spins more easily and is really quite durable even in
endurance  racing. In fact it will rev to levels that are not safe for an unmodified
5  main (that is, over 6500, assuming fitment of suitable valve  springs).

Yes, the crank will flex a little more and will have a shorter service  life
as a result, but if you aren't racing and running to 8K, don't worry about  it.

I have run several over the years in the race cars and so can  give my
personal recommendation.  I continue to run one in my street MGA  coupe.

Bill Spohn