[Mgs] [MG-MGB] rear springs

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 10:45:04 MDT 2007

Well, I don't know what to think now.  Over a period of years I have bought
three different types of rear spring (chrome bumper roadster, rubber bumper
roadster, RB V8) from three different suppliers and fitted them to two
different cars (CB roadster and RB V8).  In every case I have had no problem
jacking under the spring to compress it enough to reattach the damper
drop-link and/or replace the rebound straps, and this happens long before
the body lifts off the supports, which are immediately in front of the rear
spring front eyes.  Neither did I get this rumoured problem of the rear eyes
of the spring getting locked up against the chassis rail, which *would*
cause the problem, on neither the CB car (on which I reckon it is impossible
anyway) or the RB car.

Either all of you having problems getting the springs compressed enough have
bought faulty (i.e. too hard and/or arched) springs or you are doing
something wrong when fitting them.

Ive got a bit of a shock  ive discovered that the rebound strap is
approx 2 inch short  and the shock absorber vertical link approx  1
inch short