[Mgs] Price Of Two 6 Volt Batteries/now starters

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 02:28:08 MDT 2007

I had one of these for a while on my V8.  The first time I cranked it there
was just a whirr and I thought it was spinning without turning the engine,
then it burst into life, it was so quiet.  It cranks faster, and takes less
current while doing so, both of which aid starting (although that shouldn't
be an issue on a properly set-up engine).  The only down-side is the cost -
about 50% more when I looked.  They can be beneficial on V8s as the standard
starter suffers more from heat damage from the close proximity of the
right-hand down-pipe, even with a heat-shield fitted.  It remains to be seen
(by those that still have them) whether the geared starter is any more
resistant to it.  How much of the shorter life of the V8 starter is due to
the heat, and how much to cranking twice the number of cylinders I don't
know, although in the latter case they are lower compression ratio on
factory cars.  If it was the number of cylinders that were the problem the
higher compression ratio of other applications of this engine should result
in even shorter life.