[Mgs] Price Of Two 6 Volt Batteries

Simon Matthews simon.d.matthews at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 12:54:35 MDT 2007

Kelvin,

On 8/23/07, Dodd, Kelvin <doddk at mossmotors.com> wrote:
> I get a bit confused with the concept of installing huge output
> batteries like the Optima in a car with a 35 amp alternator. I use
> Optima batteries to start my diesel backhoe and a couple in my diesel
> truck. I guess if you want to be able to drive round the block on the
> starter motor they make sense. Somewhat cheaper than buying a Prius.

A PO installed a group 24 battery in my MGA. This was done by
extending one of the battery trays. The group 24 battery is about 50%
larger than  a group 26, which is the normal 6v replacement. This
gives a significantly higher capacity, which means that when my
generator stops working, I can reliably get home without worrying
about the battery dying on me! The only problem with this is that
getting the group 24 battery into and out of the tray is quite a feat.

Regarding the Prius, did you see that Steve Wozniak (sp?) was stopped
for doing 104 in a Prius. Who knew that Prius-es were capable of more
than 100mph?

Regards,
Simon.