[Mgs] What top frames fit the 74.5 mgb?

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Tue Aug 21 13:23:08 MDT 2007

So far I've run across the following frame sets for the MGB.

Folding Frames:

Very early grey folding frame  1962 - early 63   I've got some
photographs of this one. The difference is that there is a bar, about 4"
long that sticks up vertically from the center of a smaller 3 bolt body
mounting plate. The frame arms attach to this bar.

The later grey frame has a 3 bolt body mounting plate with extended
front edge and the frame assembly mounts directly to it.

The early frame set does exist, but was a running change. Parts books
only show the replacement part number. On a side note, the early frame
does require a unique top pattern and it's unlikely that any of the
current patterns are going to fit it very well as because it is so
unusual, non of the typical pattern adjustments due to changes in
material have been made over the years.

Later grey folding frame   1963 - 70

Both of these scissor towards the center of the car.

Black folding frame  1971 - 80

This frame scissors towards the back of the car.

Stowaway:

One type only, painted grey.

All of them do interchange.

The black 1971 on frame is the easiest to use and would be the design I
recommend for daily use.  I don't recommend the early grey frames. Watch
out for loose rivets or bolt substitutes on used top frames.

The stow away frame has become much more popular as the cars are used
more for fair weather driving only.

Kelvin Dodd

Moss