[Mgs] Emergency brake light & Hazard light problem

DMatt21502 at aol.com DMatt21502 at aol.com
Tue Aug 21 09:05:34 MDT 2007

I have a 1977 MGB on which I installed a new wiring harness last fall. I
have had an ongoing problem since installation and now a new problem.
Problem 1     The emergency brake light continues to be on even when the
handbrake is  off. I have checked the switch and it appears to operate fine. I
disconnected  the wire to the break pressure failure switch and the emergency
break light  operates properly.  The brakes seem  to operate well but have a
little bit of softness in the pedal. Would this  softness in the pedal cause
the
switch to keep my emergency brake light on or do  I need a new switch? Any
quick way to test the switch?
Problem 2      Used my emergency flasher for the first time recently and it
will only  work if I turn on one of my turn signals while the emergency
flasher
switch is  on. When I do this it works exactly the way it is supposed to. I
have checked  the two flasher units under the dash. One has a solid brown wire
and a light  green with a brown stripe wire connected to it. The other flasher
unit has light  green and brown stripe and a green wire (it is more an agua
color than green but  it is coming out of the wiring harness at the right
place
and has the proper  connection.)  The flasher unit with  the solid brown wire
and light green and brown wire is a Lucus 9 FL Flasher with  the numbers
35053A 25-76
12V 12A Max  The other  flasher unit is exactly the same except it has 35-76
after the model number. My  Moss catalog shows two different flasher units for
the turn signal and the  emergency flasher. I think I have these wired the
way the wiring diagram shows  but obviously I am doing something wrong unless
the turn signal is supposed to  be turned on for the emergency flashers to
work.
Donbt think so!!! Any help  would be appreciated.  The Other Dave  Matthews