[Mgs] Successful brake drum replacement

Phil Jones philip.s.jones at comcast.net
Mon Aug 20 11:08:49 MDT 2007

Hi all.  There have been plenty of messages about improvements brakes recently, so just thought I'd add my recent experience with my '72 GT.

Symptomatically, I was experiencing early rear lock-up, "thrumming" sound and pulsation upon deceleration, soft first-push brake pedal, and weak emergency brake.  Over the past several years, I had replaced pads (V8), rotors (x-drilled & slotted), hoses (stainless), master cylinder, and rear slave cylinders and shoes.  My rear drums were out of spec for turning, so I installed new ones this weekend.

First impression:  oooooh, pretty!  Nice and clean and shiny.  Second impression:  Wow!  Big improvement!  I was only trying to address the early rear lock-up and the pulsation/thrumming, but the replacement actually addressed the brake pedal firmness and emergency brake.  I now can confirm that, when in proper fettle, MGB's have excellent brakes.  I can't wait to drive it some more!

Just a few weeks ago, I did a little road trip through north central Washington and southern central BC, coming into Whistler from the north for a couple days at the NAMGAR event and thence to Vancouver Island and home.  I wish I had replaced the drums previously!  I had the brakes smelling hot and getting soft (although not smoking) at least once on the trip.

Now I feel like my car is in tip-top mechanical condition.  Barring further issues, then I'll be saving up for the exterior (rust) and interior (I'd love to have leather seats and a smaller, good-looking steering wheel).