[Mgs] exhaust system flange

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Sun Aug 19 17:12:13 MDT 2007

Thanks for all the quick replies. I went to the hardware store and
bought the next drill size up, 17/64". The website mentioned below as
well as an earlier website I checked had formulas indicating a drill
size of .257" which is just slightly larger than 17/64". I also bought
another 5/16-18 tap, made in the USA. It cost about half of what I paid
for the 40 piece Harbor Freight tap and die kit I was using. The new tap
I bought suggested the "F" drill bit and naturally there were no drill
bits sold that referenced letters.

Anyway, with the slightly larger bore and the more robust tap (the
square tip on the end was even larger), the hole is now tapped, going
quite smooth as expected. I am not a professional mechanic by any means
but I am experienced enough to know when things are right and when they
are not. The previous tap was not going well and I did not want to force
it, thereby really making problems worse.

David Councill

67 BGT

72 B