[Mgs] fog lamps

Dan DiBiase d_dibiase at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 05:47:16 MDT 2007

Norm <nsippel at mindspring.com> wrote:   Message    Dan:

 New A4s also  automatically lock the doors like blue-hair GM products.  That one  "feature" was the coup de grace last year when we were car shopping.  After  eliminating all of the Japanese cars one after the other, we got down to an A4  & a 328i.  While the Audi gets slightly better fuel consumption &  with fwd, we could drive north in winter, I don't like being automatically  locked into my car.  Once the salesman said it wasn't re-programmable, we  bought the BMW in which that feature is programmable 4 different ways.   We've owned Audis before & never had lamp problems.  Must be another  new "feature."   BTW, love the 328.

 As for fogs with  low-beams - that makes them useless.  The entire idea with fog lights is to  send out a flat-topped, low-level beam that does NOT reflect off the fog  droplets as high or low-beams do.  Last car I had that I could run with  just parking & fog light was my first MGB - a '65 with Lucas Flamethrower  & Lucas Fog light.

 But, your comment  makes me curious.  With all of the features that can be driver-programmed  on the BMW, I wonder if fog/headlight interaction is one of  them.

Norm, I actually had to have the door locks programmed - the 'standard' for the 2004 model was that you had to lock the car yourself. With small children at the time, I preferred the auto locks. The dealer didn't charge me to program this. Re: the fogs, yes, I understand the whole issue of fogs being somewhat useless with the low beams.... The earlier version of the A4 (up until around 2003, I believe) could have the fogs programmed to work with the parking lights, and many enthusiast owners did this. Audi aparently changed either the wiring or the programming for the 2004 model year that prevents this. Bummer.

BTW, love the A4 ;-)

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA