[Mgs] Gasket sealants

Ron Fine RonFineEsq at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 9 01:02:55 MDT 2007

I am putting my rebuilt transmission back together and once again I am stumped
on what gasket sealant to use.  There are several large paper gaskets with
large areas to seal between machined surfaces that are not perfectly smooth.
These are subject to constant oil baths and critical if I am going to try to
stop the usual oil leaks.  (I know, a hopeless cause, but I enjoy the
challenge!).

I just looked at the Permatex web site and there are dozens of products, all
sounding like they would do the job.  I would just like to get some opinions
about what products others have used successfully.  Some of the Permatex
products are to be used without a paper gasket and others are called
"sealants" for use with a gasket.  By the way, Permatex products are the only
ones that are sold by all the auto parts stores in my part of Los Angels.

Any suggestions, advise or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron Fine
61 BN7
66 MGB