[Mgs] Moss Big Brake Kit

WSpohn4 at aol.com WSpohn4 at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 12:04:19 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/3/2007 10:50:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
doddk at mossmotors.com writes:

So what  I seem to be hearing is that the MGB brake system is optimal and
there is  no sense in seeking ways to improve it.

When I'm driving down the  freeway at 70 mph and the idiot in the BMW in
front of me slams his brakes  on because he dropped his Latte in his lap
it's not going to be much  comfort knowing I have state of the art 1960s
braking technology under my  right foot.

____________________________________

Yup, you've got it exactly right - except that you don't mention that by
using modern pad materials in a well maintained MG braking system, you'll have
just as much stopping power as the BMW. Obviously if the Bimmer is running 8"
slicks, his adhesion limit will be higher, but that has nothing to do with the
 brakes. Unless you run the latest sticky street/race tire, it doesn't matter
if  you put on enough caliper to halt a 747, you won't equal the stopping
performance of the modern car with stickier tires.

With my 'antiquated' braking system (1958) on the race car, running modern
pads, I have been able to out-brake modern Porsches, Nissans etc. running
similar tires.

We have to get over the idea that old=bad or inadequate. That can sometimes
be the case, but in many cases it clearly is not.

All this puts me in mind of the Fiero guys. These kids (Fieros seem to wind
up in the hands of younger owners) are always wanting to put on bigger brakes,
 notwithstanding the fact that the cars came with 4 wheel discs, ventilated
in  the case of the last cars.  So you get these kids putting huge brakes from
later GM cars on, even at the cost of losing the parking brake completely
because they fit front calipers from a Grand-am on the rear of the Fiero (just
because they happen to be the same bolt pattern and a larger caliper).
Doesn't do a damned thing for the braking of the cars, which was always  perfectly
adequate from the factory.

Bill S.