[Mgs] what wood for seat supports

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 2 17:51:47 MDT 2007

I am going to say ash wood.

I am sure they have to be hardwood, since softwood would not be up to the
crushing load (though the hem/fir I've seen lately is as hard as rock).

But specifically, the set in my MG seems to have the sort of bold grain
pattern seen on Louisville Sluggers, hence ash wood. Moreover, ash was
traditionally used for framing in coachbuilding, so would be likely to be
"in stock". It is also eminently suitable for the task.

But it's not as if I actually know anything about carpentry, so TIFWIW...

Oh, I understand that ash is getting hard to find, which is why some major
leaguers are turning to maple bats. So maple might be an appropriate
substitute.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149