[Mgs] Brakes, big and small

Rick Lindsay rolindsay at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 07:26:22 MDT 2007

   Paul's comments, as usual, are right on.  This is
an area of great interest for me.  All that saves your
butt from disaster is four tiny tire-patches!  I think
about that when I am working with the Formula 1 cars.
Same physics, just at four times the speed!

   The trick is to not confuse traction with friction.
 Traction is a nonlinear summation of friction AND the
deformation of rubber into the rugosity of the road
surface.  Otherwise, it would be impossible to exceed
1G of inline or lateral loading - which race cars do
routinely.
   The other benefit of big brakes is their heat
dissipating ability.  After all, the momentum of the
car is converted to heat by the brakes.  You have to
get rid of that heat somehow.  Big brakes dissipate
heat better so they work better in repeated use
situations - like on the track.  That's the only
advantage, to me, except for bragging rights perhaps.

rick - in houston