[Mgs] Speaking of engine removal.....

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Wed Aug 1 10:35:56 MDT 2007

Dan:

I'm going to be a bit contrary here, but that just adds spice to the
list.

I've used the rocker arm studs to pull a motor/trans assembly, but don't
really like to. Especially if I don't have the correct lift brackets. I
just don't feel happy about the leverage on them if anything goes wrong,
such as the trans hanging up.

I've gotten into the habit of using the rear most manifold stud or bolt
(I usually remove the manifolds) and the arm of the water pump after the
alt/gen is removed.

My personal favorite tilter is the Oberg tilt lift. The tabs on the
cables can be bolted right to the water pump arm and rear manifold stud.

I prefer chains over straps if I'm not using the Oberg, as you can
easily put a loop in the chain with a bolt, washers and nut ensuring
that the chain won't slip through the hook of the hoist. Usually, I just
use a chain when moving an engine from point to point, such as up onto a
stand.

One thing to watch out for (I know, you already bought the hoist but
thought I should mention it). A lot of the small folding hoists do not
have a long enough arm to reset the engine into a rubber bumper MGB
easily. With the motor/trans at balance the vertical support hits the
bumper before the powertrain is fully home, making it a PITA to push the
unit back enough to get the bolts in if you are on your own.

The big hoists usually are not a problem as they have longer arms.

On my (Harbor Frt, many moons ago) folding hoist, I extended the boom
approx. 1' 6" by adding a piece of off the shelf heavy wall rectangular
tube that fit the ID of the boom exactly. Sorry, I don't have specs. but
if anyone is interested I can get them.

This reduced the load capability of the hoist, but since I'm only
pulling 4 bangers and alloy V8s it's not a problem.

Have fun

Kelvin Dodd