[Mgb-v8] [Mgs] MGB V8 rear end noise

Smit, Theo Theo.Smit at garmin.com
Tue Apr 28 09:35:01 MDT 2015

The way it9s done on leaf-spring cars is to put wedges between the spring
perch on the axle and the top leaf. On cars with coil-spring rear ends
it9s difficult unless you have adjustable length trailing arms on the top
or bottom.

Correct on the propshaft angle - but on many cars, the transmission output
shaft is on the car centerline, while the differential yoke is offset
about an inch to one side or the other so that the overall differential
assembly is on-center and the same rear axles can be used on both sides of
the car. In that case, the constant lateral offset is enough to give the
U-joints the articulation they need. I don9t know if the Ford axle is in
that category but it would also depend on if the axles have been shortened
from stock.

Theo

On 2015-04-28, 9:14 AM, "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com> wrote:

>I know nowt about Ford rear ends and little enough of MGB, but are they
>even
>adjustable?
>
>Incidentally the propshaft should always be at an angle to both the
>gearbox
>output shaft and the diff input shaft under steady running conditions so
>as to
>force the UJ bearings to rotate back and fore as the propshaft rotates.
>If
>they are always dead in line the UJ bearings will wear rapidly.
>
>http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Universal_Joint_Alignment_Proc_11160
>6.p
>df

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.