[Mgb-v8] Fitting a normal MGB Bonnet

Bill Zenkus mgb_zenkus at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 07:22:26 MDT 2009

I had about the same clearance. What worked for me was to use a 14" low
profile air cleaner base. This drops the bottom of the air cleaner about 3/4"
or so below the carb where the air cleaner sits.  Next I used a 14" K&N air
cleaner element topped off with a K&N air filtered top.

The top of the filter
is about 1.5" above the top of the carb. Clears the stock hood, and the fact
that the top is also an air cleaner element means minimum restriction of air
flow.

Bill Zenkus
'74 MGB '63 Olds bored/stroked to 4.3L with T5 and Monza V8
rear
----------------------------

On May 21, 2009, at 6:07 PM, "Mark Trosper"
<markies at tx.rr.com> wrote:

> I have a Triumph TR8 engine in my 79 MGB.  I
have a Edelbrock 2198 intake
> manifold with a Holley 4160 sitting on top.  I
have a 10 Edelbock air
> cleaner on top of that.  The engine has motor mount
brackets from D&D.  This
> set up requires a hole in the bonnet with a cowl
induction scoop above the
> hole.  From the closest measurement I can take, I
have 2 < distance above
> the carb flange to where a bonnet without a hole
would be.  I would like to

Some of you that have a bonnet without a scoop have used a factory 215

intake.  I measured one against my Edelbrock and found negligible difference

in height.  Besides the carb mounting holes dont match my Holley 4160.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to accomplish my goal?

subscribed as mgb_zenkus at yahoo.com