[Mgb-v8] [!! SPAM] Re: Ah, the details........

David Kernberger dkern at napanet.net
Wed Mar 25 18:27:06 MST 2009

IS this still an unanswered question?  In case it is, I will give it a go.

	By convention a down stroke is when the piston is moving
towards the crankshaft (ie POWER and intake strokes) and an upstroke
is when the piston is moving away from the crankshaft (ie compression
and exhaust strokes).  During the power stroke the force of
combustion is downward (toward the crank) on the piston but the
upward resistance offered by the connecting rod and crankshaft is
partially sideways because the rod is at an angle. The result is the
piston is jammed against one side of the cylinder more forcefully
than the other.  That side is the thrust face.

	Therefore, as stated below, the small end of the rod will
always point toward the thrust face whenever the piston is on a
downstroke.  But it is only on the power stroke that there is enough
force for it to matter very much.  On the intake stroke, there is
essentially no side thrust at all, simply because cylinder pressue is
relatively low.  In fact the pressure is below atmospheric

I hope that doesn't muddy the waters.

Dave K.