[Mgb-v8] Bushings

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Fri Aug 7 18:28:15 MDT 2009

Barrie.

The critical thing is that the outer bush has to be a precise fit to the
ID of the tube it is pressed into, so the rubber can bond to the metal.

The next important thing is that the steel sleeve on the ID of the
bushing is clamped correctly by the fastener so it cannot rotate.

There were a number of MGB V8 bushings on the market a while ago that
had inner steel sleeves that were too short and were not clamping
correctly. It's not readily evident when you install them that they are
not clamped, so it's always a good idea to measure the sleeve and
compare it to the locating mounting points to ensure that it can be
clamped correctly without bending the locating tabs.

The same holds true for Poly bushings that use a steel sleeve. The
sleeve must be correctly trimmed to it is securely clamped in location.

It would probably be worthwhile looking at a soft Polyurethane for this
application, since you don't run the risk of an incorrectly specified
rubber bushing shearing under too much load.

Superpro in the UK made up Watts Linkage and trailing arm bushings for
the Rover SD1 application that are a pretty low durometer Poly that
should not transfer too much vibration to the bodyshell.

I havn't tried them yet (too lazy) but they are reputed to work well.

kelvin