[Mgb-v8] Rover engine number

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 01:57:05 MDT 2008

FWIW that list doesn't seem to include the factory MGB V8 engine numbers,
maybe not the RV8 either.  Mine (original engine) is 4860-2328 which is
obviously close to some of the numbers given, but can't be included in the
closest series beginning 4850-0001A as they are 10.5:1 and mine is 8.26:1.
The description tallies better with the early Rangie engines but the number
ranges of those are further away.

Is that the number on paperwork or actually stamped on the engine?  If the
latter could it be interpreted as something else i.e. a bad stamping?  If the
rebuild was done by the factory then maybe they changed the number to
something completely different like they did for the Gold Seal factory
rebuilds.

PaulH.