[Mgb-v8] Fuel Pump Woes

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 03:56:39 MDT 2008

The standard SU pump delivers from 1 to 2 Imperial Pints per minute and is
more than adequate for engines bigger than yours.  Can't speak for
after-market pumps but the SU on rubber bumper cars *is* mounted above the top
of the tank (conveniently allows you to work on the fittings without fuel
siphoning out, unlike the chrome bumper pump) and indeed the SU test rig
mounts it *3 to 4 feet* above the fuel level to get that flow rate.

As far as failures go, maybe the EP-10 failing after 9 years is sooner than
one would expect, but I don't know the pump.  Two identical replacement pumps
failing in short-order is perfectly possible if they were from the same source
- could be a bad batch or simply the wrong pump form the application.  If the
first wouldn't even suck fuel from a jar on the garage floor as you say then I
think it is reasonable to eliminate the tank or anything else on the car,
*unless* it has sucked gunge from the tank *into* the pump.

PaulH.