[Mgb-v8] The Edelbrock saga

Barrie Robinson barrie at look.ca
Sat Oct 4 12:03:46 MDT 2008

The Edelbrock manual says the metering rods can be changed in 5
minutes.  No time is given for the jets.

I decided to change rods and jets to those suggested by D&D and
RPi.  (see below).  So dressed appropriately in purple sweatshirt (my
MGB V8 one I considered too risky), I got stuck in to the Edelbrock
1404 carb that sits on top of my Rover 3.5L with mild cam, 10:1
compression pistons (with composite gasket now probably 9.75:1).  The
first 5 minutes shot past - that just reading the manual!   Two and a
half hours later I had it done.  During this time I learnt that
springs fling, screws fall into unknown crevices, and carb rod clips
are made for hands the size found on raccoons.  (Incidentally,
raccoons cannot be trained to help in such matters).

So with great trepidation I took my vehicle for a test run.   Result
???   Absolutely brilliant.  I never touched the tuning screws but it
idled sweetly, transcended from idle jets to primary jets with no
hesitation and just went.........

But sniffed gas once or twice when at high speed ,   hmmmmm?    I
have noticed that the fuel line needs to be insulated to prevent fuel
being preheated as it goes across the top of the rocker cover.

But I am, as they say, a happy camper!

  Prime metering rod 1441 size 062052
  Primary jet             1421          .080
  Secondary jet         1426 (stock)   .095
    must have orange springs

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson