[Mg-t] Racing question

John Deikis johnsfolly at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 18:27:31 MDT 2013

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that vintage clubs in the U.S. are seeing
decreasing fields because of the graying population. Smaller numbers translate
into higher fees and riskier margins for the sanctioning clubs. The trend-- at
least in my club-- has been to try to include as many interested parties whose
approach and vehicles are "in the vintage spirit"  --however one might
interpret that. We have a guy in his 80's who races a Healey 3000 with a Buick
V8 in it. Is his car "correct"? Absolutely not. Did Americans race British
cars with V8's in them back in the 50's and 60's? Lot's of people certainly
did. We also are including people who want to bring obsolete SCCA "Improved
Touring"-class cars. I don't consider rotary-engined Mazdas to be "vintage",
but many run with the under-2.5 litre CanAm cars at our events. And it makes
for good racing.
--JohnD

On Sep 18, 2013, at 6:55 PM, Murray Arundell <arundell at ghs.com.au> wrote:

> Your comment "let's be inclusive" is intetesting. Are you saying we should
include anyone and anything that wants to race?

> Murray Arundell
> Brisbane Australia
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 19/09/2013, at 8:32, John Deikis <johnsfolly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John:
>> two comments:
>> Your friend would be on firmer ground "proving" Americans were road racing
>> V8-powered TF's in the 50's (I believe they did TD's). He would then be
>> classed with other specials-- for vintage, usually dependent upon
>> performance.
>> Also, if your friend is from the Great Lakes area, he will likely do most
of
>> his racing with VSCDA, which is a membership club and quite flexible.
Entry
>> fees pay the bills, so the rule of the day is "let's be inclusive and all
>> play."
>> -- John Deikis
>>
>> On Sep 15, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie at comcast.net>
wrote:

>>> John, those are some crazy rules since the car itself is close to ten
years
>> after WW II.  My impression was that they put T series cars in the prewar
>> class because they are relatively slow compared to many of their
>> contemporaries, or the specific driver's skill level makes him and his car
>> good match for the prewar cars.
America
V8-60
War